Sunday, April 5, 2009

Jenny's Guardian Angel, Edward (by Glennellen)

Dearest Jenny,
My name is Edward, and I am your guardian angel. I know you do not always feel me near, much less know that I even exist. But I am forever watching over you and protecting you. The Lord, Our Father Above, assigned me this responsibility the day He brought you into the wonderful world that He created. And I might add, that I have enjoyed every single moment of the task. To watch you grow, and see you develop into a young lady of such beauty…

Beauty. That brings me to the whole point of this letter of which I am concerned. I have noticed that since the coming of your new beau, you have been so preoccupied with your looks. Such as if your hair is curling right, or if you are wearing something flattering enough. The point is, you have been worrying yourself with your outer appearance just for his sake. You have never given much thought to this before, and that made you shine brighter than anyone. So for you to suddenly let a boy cause you to pay attention to these details at such great length has caused me such dismay.

Let me advise you about beauty, and what it truly is. Today, so many women and young ladies mistake beauty for glamour. This saddens me so, and they do it for a boy or a man’s interest most of the time. That is not what beauty is at all. I want to help you before you become part of this misconception.

Have you ever heard of the quote, “Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart,” by Kahlil Gibran? ’Tis such a profound quote, but most ladies do not ever grasp the full meaning of it. I know that you, on the other hand, can comprehend the meaning. Let me tell you something else important, dear one. Looks fade…they do not last forever. But what you are on the inside remains a part of you till the end of your life. You have always been so caring, and thoughtful to others. You’ve always been a kindred spirit, maintaining your purity and dignity. You also know that if a boy does not like you for who you are, not to bother with a connection. So why change that now?

What you should also know is that your beau does not care about how you look on the outside. He likes you for who you are, and knows that what’s inside of you is what counts. The whole time you have been together, you have remained tame with your looks and didn’t even give them a thought. You’d wear your hair with its naturally loose curls, your faded jeans, and cozy sweater, and be perfectly content and comfortable with who you were. Then suddenly you became entranced by your beau’s appearance, thinking yourself not worthy of his fine looks. My dear one…why would you ever think that? Because of who you are, your faith in God and your immensely kind heart, you had already won him over. He has been looking for someone like you for quite some time.

When your true love looks at you, through his mind runs the quote from Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet. “Did my heart love till now? Foreswear it sight, for I ne’er saw true beauty till this night.”

God and I love you more than you could ever imagine, young one. I will continue to watch over your beautiful soul and keep you from harm. And once again, Jenny, know that you are beautiful for who you are; and that the beauty that radiates from your face is the light that shines out from your heart.

Your Guardian Angel and Protector,
Edward

4 comments:

Anna said...

Wow Glenn, that was awesome! I think it's some of your best stuff :). I loved how you wrote everything, and especially loved how you portrayed the love of the guardian angel. Great!!

Glennellen said...

Thank you do much, Anna! I'm so glad to know that you could truly feel love radiating from the guardian angel, and that I didn't leave anything important out. That makes me feel sooo great! I can't wait to read yours. :)

Michelle in AL said...

Great job Glennellen, it reads as if it was truly written from the heart and has a great and timely message for girls your age. Well written!

Glennellen said...

Thank you, Ms. Michelle! I think it will get a message across to girls my age, too. :)